Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hot as Hades

I knew this was coming, this is New England, it gets hot & humid.


Boston current conditions
Mostly Sunny
89° F
At Logan Airport
As of 10:25 AM

Mostly Sunny
RealFeel temp: Explain 96° F
Relative humidity: 51%

The real temp and the humidity are what you need to look at.

For my mates across the pond or anyone who uses Celsius, 96F is 35.5C. I don't really have a problem with heat, I like feeling the hot sun beating down. It's the humidity godammit.

Besides the frizzy hair monster, you stew in your own juices, you sweat more than is attractive and when you venture outside, whoa nelly, it's like opening an oven door and stepping in.

I'm at work where there's a/c (or air con to the Brits and Aussies) the gods pour blessings on Willis Haviland Carrier. I hope he is feasting on honey and nectar somewhere. He certainly deserves to.

He wasn't the first to cool the air, but he did deal with the humidity.

The Egyptians and the Persians were some innovative folks. Where I live there are a lot of historical houses from the 1600s, they have big shaded porches and small dark rooms, makes perfect sense, the only way they could have dealt with the heat was to close the shutters and keep the house dark. How the hell they coped with heavy wool clothes, corsets, petticoats etc is beyond me, poor saps.

Stay cool people, if you have no a/c get thee to a cinema.

No comments: