Monday, June 18, 2007

Food glorious food

Did you know that there's almost as much sugar in milk as in a regular soda? Nope? Me either.

Went to the endocrinologist today to try to sort out the blood sugar numbers. Lovely man, very personable, he has given me 2 weeks to try to maintain my levels myself with diet. He ouwl have liked to include exercise but I can barely walk with the pubic symphisis thingie so that's not really an option for me. He told me about the milk thing, blew my mind.

I am a milk addict! I love me some cold milk, morning noon and night, there's nothing better to drink in my world but now that I know about the sugar content I have to rethink that.

Also have to up my protein intake, not eating enough of that and supplementing with carbs 'cos I'm hungry all the time - result - high blood sugars.

So welcome to the severely restricted diet, expect many posts about how fucking pissed off I am to be monitoring every fucking bite. I'm not good with these kind of things, but if I want my VBAC I'll have to give it my best shot. BLEAGH.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

You are kidding me! I had no idea that milk had such high sugar content. I guess the good thing is that it is natural sugar instead of refined/processed. However, that makes me a little nervous because milk is ALL my daughter will drink.

About the pubic thing...Is that when your pubic bone hurts due to pregnancy? I HAVE THAT!!!!! I have been doing research on it like crazy! It is so painful to roll over in bed!

Boliath said...

I think it's ok if your insulin is working correctly, it breaks down the sugar and converts it to energy, when it's not, it's a problem. My son drinks milk like I do, he loves it, I'm not worried about it, the calcium is good for him.

The Pubic bone pain is exactly what you describe except I have it all of the time not just in bed - ouch!

Krissy said...

Bo, dear, you need to watch your sugar not just for the VBAC but because having GD can make your child's body grow too fast. It's not uncommon for GD babies to have respiratory problems when they come out.

I had GD and had to do the diet, but I found it actually okay. My secret weapon was peanut butter toast.

Remember that the thing you're trying to avoid is sugar. If your body is busy processing fats and grains and protiens, it will do those first and let more sugars go by without processing.

Basically, full-fat ice cream was okay for me, but low-fat caused my blood sugars to spike. Anything low sugar is good, low fat is not your friend.

The only thing that was horrid, horrid no matter what was Chinese food. It caused a terrible spike no matter what I did.

You may find that if you eat a whole grain toast with your full-fat glass of milk, your levels stay decent.

Remember, it's not about amount of food, but the combinations that work. And if you do have to go on insulin don't worry about it. It's no cosmic judgement on you. In earlier days you and I and all the GD people would have had much greater chances of producing fully-cooked, healthy babies, even in the case of drought or famine. It's just these days when twinkies are available on every street corner that our genetic superiority is a liability.

Email me if you want someone to talk to! I found the GD diagnosis very, very upsetting at first, but in practice I found it very easy.